Turn your face to the sun...

We're all looking for something. There are times we are in search of a thing, times when we are in search of an answer, times when we're searching for peace and, dare I say, love.
To find it, you have to open your eyes and look beyond the clouds, find the Blue sky.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

incredible egg

I was singing nursery rhymes with the kiddies and we came to Humpty Dumpty.

Poor thing. Had a big fall. Was it a change in his life? Did he feel low self worth because he wasn't a brown organic egg? Was he afraid of being made into an egg white omelet? He fell, and for whatever reason he was relying on some king and his horses to put him back together again. Silly egg.

Big fall, great fall... whatever you want to call it, the big guy was shattered.

It got me thinking. First off all, just because you fall, doesn't mean you won't get up. Of course, you might have some scuffs and bruises, a chip or two in the old shell, but falling down sometimes means that you were up too high to begin with. What the hell were you doing on that wall? Why wasn't someone there with you, why wasn't someone on the ground? Second, if you (or me or Humpty) are going to rely on someone to put you back together again, then honey you better start walking around in a padded suit and helmet. No one can put you back together but you. That's our self-worth responsibility. To take care of yourself, and have enough faith in yourself to know that you're the one who's best going to take care of you.

So, why am I sitting here pontificating on the most bio-available source of protein (btw I studied nutrition in college). Yeah, I fell off the wall. I was up too high. Precariously perched. No one sitting nearby, no one on the ground. When I fell off that wall, something amazing happened... my feet landed on the ground. I got a little abrasion on the elbow, skinned the knee, cracked a tooth and did a number on my knuckles. My Prada boots got all scuffed. Damnit. There was blood lost, maybe I cried a little, but I stuck the landing.

Now listen. Carefully. I want undoubtable unconditional love around me, and there's no way in hell I'm getting back on the wall. I look to my friends (you know who you are) for support, compassion and a bit of a reality check every so often (not to mention snacks like pie and proschiutto, perhaps some falafel). I look to Blue for strength, for staying power, for the unwavering reassurance that it'll all work out (already found out that mom is a no fly zone for that). All of these things are the figurative brushing off, the getting the gravel out of my knees and dirt off my pants. The taking the Prada boots for a shoe shine.

But at the end of the day, guess who's responsible for breaking out the Neosporin and Hello Kitty bandaids. ME.

I have love around me. My girlfriends (yes, you two, stand up), Blue, readers, a sister here or there...So much love that at times I think it's crazy (I mean, why do you guys love me so much?! I know I'm cute and all, but are you kidding?) Just joking. Sort of.

It's this love that gives me the strength to put myself together again. It's this love from all of you that makes the peroxide not sting like hell.

Now, can someone bring me some plain old band aids? Damn, Hello Kitty! If I'm gonna flip the king's men and horses the bird, I can't do it with a pink bandaid on my hand.

3 comments:

  1. LOL, oddly enough I have a box of Hello Kitty band-aids in my desk at work. They are my fav and I think putting one of those suckers on heals all boo-boos.

    We are nothing without the support of friends and family. I always feel stronger--almost invincible--when I have my girls around me. I'm glad that you have such a wonderful support system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't life have been so much easier if we'd figured all of this out in college? Oh well, I guess we are now older and wiser...and stronger and smarter.

    The only part of this where I think you are wrong is the part about the Hello Kitty band aids. I see nothing wrong with wearing pink band aids to flip someone the bird. You're saying "I'm tough but I have a softer side."

    As for why I love you...my darling, there are too many reasons to list in a blog comment. (Though, I can guarantee that it his nothing to do with receiving a paycheck from your father!) You are amazing and I feel lucky to have you.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks anon... love you too. and believe you me, i am so much more than just someone's daughter. Cause that was my question "Who am I". Yea, i know kinda a doozie to leave as a txt, but I suppose i will be addressing that forthwith.
    xxoo Grace

    ReplyDelete